Thursday, October 6, 2011

Just another run

Yesterday, I ran 5 miles at 11:30 am. Today, I ran 10.5 miles at 9:00 am. The bottom line is...I don't like it!

Warning! Complaints below!

I usually do my running at 5:00 am. In the pre-dawn hours when most are still asleep. Obviously, I have taken this for granted because when my husband travels I don't have this luxury. Hmm, that's funny, I just called running at 5 o'clock in the morning a luxury! But, it really does serve it's purpose. I learned a lesson many years ago that with young children getting it done early is paramount. There are a thousand excuses and interruptions that can prevent me from running later. Also, I'm a procrastinator and the longer I can put something off, the more likely it's not going to get done. I'm more tired in the evening (at least it feels that way). I'd rather roll out of bed, clothes and shoes on, brush my teeth and be running before I'm fully awake enough to realize what's going on.

It was really hot today and I underestimated the amount of water I would need for 12 miles. Twelve was the original plan, but I ditched the run early due to lack of water. I'm already feeling guilty that I didn't gut out the intended mileage.

I usually run with my girlfriends, but I was solo today. Apparently, everyone wanted to get their run done early, too. So, I was left to my own thoughts. I was thinking about a discussion we had in Bible study yesterday. What's your wildest dream? What the biggest thing you could ask God to accomplish through you? I was thinking about that today. My dreams at this point seem quite small.  A good wife and encouraging mom. A fit and healthy runner. Perhaps I need to dream bigger. What's your wildest dream?

I do know that we all need to ask ourselves this question. And really answer it! What a waste it would be to look back on your life and think that you didn't try or that you didn't do enough. Start today! Go for a run, go for a walk, hug your kids, kiss your spouse! Try something new. Become better, be better. I'll keep working on my answer.

My boys are growing up fast. Even they realize it. My 3 year old told me those exact words this morning. "Me little boy, me grow up fast." Their hugs and kisses are limited. Soon they won't want to sit in my lap. I read today that by the time boys are 7 they look beyond their mothers to adult males to learn what it is to be a man. Brady is 6 1/2, I am very thankful that he has strong men in his life to learn from, but I'm still going to smother him in kisses at least until he's 17.

1 comment:

  1. Me too!! I am never going to stop kissing my grandsons!! Sorry boys!! Very good blog today, Jennifer. Love ya and Happy Running. You are doing awesome.

    ReplyDelete