Friday, January 24, 2014

The Journey of 1000 Miles - DONE!



It all began with a single step...


On December 20, I completed a year-long goal to run 1000 miles. For the final run I needed 5 miles.
We ended up running 6 miles and my friends surprised me with a CELEBRATION! It was awesome!

An emotional finale 

This passerby held a sign "1000 Miles" that I ran through. He seemed pretty happy about it, too!



Janelle, Stephanie and Anissa - these girls logged many miles with me

Bridget brought food, balloons and champagne


Nothing like drinking champagne in a public park at 8:30am in Malaysia!

Yummy! These strawberries were delish!

A toast to the finish
I was really relieved that it was over. The miles loomed over me, especially towards the end. I was running more than I had ever run before. I was sick in November and the last 4 weeks were 40 mile weeks. Anissa and I were running 10 miles on Mondays and Fridays and I had also implemented 2-a-day Tuesdays. I was so close I had to finish. Thanks to Anissa, Stephanie, Janelle and Bridget for encouraging me, running with me and for celebrating with me!

Thanks, Anissa!
Anissa really stuck with me. Little did she know how much she would end up running because I wanted to do this! I honestly could not have done it without her. Scheduling runs for me, driving to new places and grinding out the miles. What a journey! And the wonderful memories! The stories we have shared!

Thanks, Girls for a wonderful surprise and really making me feel special! I will treasure that day forever! Not only did I complete the 1000 miles, I made some really great friends along the way.

Will I ever do it again?

To read the post that got all this started, you can find it here:
http://jen-girlontherun.blogspot.com/2013/01/hello-2013.html

6 comments:

  1. WooHoo!!! Awesome!!! Great job Jennifer - thanks for the pictures. Very proud of you. Thanks girls for helping & support Jennifer to make her goal of 1000 Miles!! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had wondered how that was going... Congratulations! That is such a huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin. I miss my early morning running buddies!

      Delete
  3. Jen - Your determination has always been something that just puts me in awe of you and I have always respected you for! You are again amazing! Well done! Congrats to such a huge achievement and pushing through!
    Much love,
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, you were the one that first got me running at dark-thirty. I still think about us meeting at the corner in Aberdeen. Running has brought me some great friends and good experiences through the years! Thanks!

      Delete