Monday, December 15, 2014

Cambodia - Angkor Wat Half Marathon

I went to Cambodia a couple of weeks ago with my friend, Anissa. My neighbor, Claire and her husband Brian, went as well. We've had this trip planned since May and have been looking forward to it for so long. We put the kids on the bus and left on Friday afternoon. After a short flight, we were quick to get to the hotel, get massages and head to dinner.
Anissa, Claire, me and Brian
Travelling without the kids is definitely different. I missed them, but we were able to see other parts and not have to worry about them getting tired and bored. We explored Pub Street - 50 cent beers! and the night market.

On Saturday, Anissa and I explored some of my favorite temples.

Angkor Wat

Ta Prohm

Bayon
At the start
The race was Sunday morning. A large crowd of 7000 runners and an early 6:10 am start. The weather was beautiful and a little bit cooler than KL.


Ready to run


We called it a "tourist run" - our excuse for not pushing too hard

We passed out candy to kids
And stopped to take pictures!


We passed the Elephant Terrace on our way to the finish line. It was a great weekend and we had so much fun. I'm happy I was able to go back to Cambodia and see it again. Brian said it best about Cambodia, "if you're disappointed in your life, come to Cambodia. These people have very little, tourism is their main source of income and they are SO HAPPY!"
 
After the race on Sunday, we lounged by the pool, got massages, shopped and enjoyed more good food. We left on Monday morning and were back in time to get the kids off the bus.








No comments:

Post a Comment